When listing a home, personal taste is best minimized, especially in bedrooms. Real estate and design experts offer these tips on design trends to avoid in bedroom decor:
- Thick Drapes – Remoce thick curtains, which require a lot of vacuuming to keep dust at bay. Instead, try Roman shades or woven blinds with black-out panels.
- Cluttered Shelves – Leave one or two shelves open and arranged neatly with books or other objects. Fill the rest of the shelves with baskets and bins of belongings.
- Bright Paint Colors – Aviod colors like pinks and lime green, especially in kids’ bedrooms, which indicates a long weekend of painting to buyers.
- Overstuffed Rooms – Pat attention to furnishings size and scale. If there is too much room or the bed is too big, the room will feel claustrophobic.
- Towering Pillow Piles – For most beds, limit the pillows to only the ones you sleep on, and then a bolster or square European pillow.